Why do we Bike MS?
To show, through the thunderous roar of thousands across the U.S., that WE WILL CRUSH multiple sclerosis once and for all!
So, whether you raise $10,000, $2,500 or $250, every dollar helps us fund cutting-edge research—and gives hope to our friends, loved-ones, relatives and those of us who live with MS—that we will cross the finish line.
As a Bike MS Participant, we know you’re committed to helping us fulfill our mission.
Here are 5 quick tips from top fundraiser Paul D. that’ll help you roll towards our (and your) goal, and/or will give your existing fundraising efforts a fresh boost.
PAUL SAYS, “THERE’S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A GOOD OLD-FASHIONED EMAIL TO GET THE DONATIONS ROLLING IN.”
1. Make it personal – in any mass email, thank people for donating in the past before asking them to donate in the present. Additionally, I often reference a significant event from last year’s training or Bike MS weekend, so people know what they’re motivating me to do.
2. Use a self-donation as a challenge – “I gave myself $35 to kick off this fundraising season. Will you match my donation?”
3. Be prompt and personal in thanking donors – you certainly can use the built-in templates in your Bike MS participant center, but I highly recommend writing your own. Even one or two personal lines mean so much more to donors.
4. Don’t be afraid to send out regular updates and requests – I send one email a month between April and September. I include language stating that, “If you no longer wish to receive these emails, just let me know and I’ll happily stop sending them.” But in all my years of doing this, not a single person has opted out.
5. Send a blanket thank you to everyone you initially emailed – include both donors and non-donors alike. After the ride, briefly summarize how much fun you had and thank everyone again for being part of your weekend.”
HOW TO ADD & SEND EMAILS THROUGH YOUR PARTICIPANT CENTER
- Login to your Bike MS Participant Center
- Select > “Add contacts to your address book” > Import contacts
- Select > “Compose message” > “Solicitation request” > “Next”
- Make any updates to the email content (sharing your personal connection to Bike increases your fundraising 3x)
- Send away!
*Your information is safe with us. We never use your personal contact’s email or other information for any purpose. It’s strictly for your use.
NEED HELP ACCESSING OR USING YOUR PARTICIPANT CENTER?
Email or call our new Fundraising Support Center at 855-372-1331.
Development & Marketing Coordinator
National MS Society
1440 Foothill Drive, Suite 200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108
801-424-0113, Ext. 31116
Register for Bike MS: Harmons Best Dam Ride online or call toll-free 1-855-372-1331